My major interests have been analysing real-time data from various interdisciplinary fields by employing a combination of techniques, ranging from time series analysis to deterministic and stochastic models, to pursue this aim.
- Epidemics and Bio-Surveillance: Mosquito-transmitted viral diseases like malaria are among the top infectious killing diseases in India and worldwide. I work on developing algorithms for modelling disease spread; understanding their temporal and spatial patterns; finding climate predictors; and developing social networks for surveillance purposes.
- Indian Monsoon Rainfall: The monsoon is a stochastic process. Area of interest is the analysis of rainfall data for developing effective prediction methods using time-frequency and probabilistic estimation methods. Also, I am statistically analysing the contemporaneous relationship between the intensity of the Indian monsoon and run-off in the major rivers of Himalayan Basin.
- International affairs and Policy analysis: The focus is on analysing social trends and international relations using mathematical (game theory) and statistical models. The techniques like social networks are used for finding community structures in social interactions and security related studies.
- Ph.D (2008) : Department of Applied Mathematics, Faculty of Technology, Delhi University, India, worked under the supervision of Prof. Roddam Narasimha, (FRS) at Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
- M.Sc (1999): Department of Mathematics, IIT Delhi, India.
- B.Sc Hons. (1997) : Department of Mathematics, Delhi University (DU), New Delhi, India.
Awards and Fellowships
- President's Award for Excellence -2011 at the Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA), New Delhi.
- Dr. D. C. Pavate Fellowship-2009 for visiting Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, University of Cambridge, UK.
Professional Societies Membership
- Editorial board member of International Journal of Advances in Engineering & Technology
Reviewer for Journal of Applied Statistics.
- Sept. 2011 - Present: Assistant Prof. at IIT Mandi, India.
- 2009- 2011: Institute of Defense Studies and Analysis, New Delhi, India.
- June 2009 - Sept. 2009: Visiting fellow, Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics (DAMTP) , University of Cambridge, UK.
- Jan. 2008 - May 2009: Post-doc, Engineering Mechanics Unit, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore, India.
International Peer Reviewed Publications
Indian Monsoon Rainfall Analysis
- Sarita Azad, and M. Rajeevan. Analyzing Predictability in Indian Monsoon: A Data Analytic Approach, Communicated. 2014
- Sarita Azad. Extreme Indian Monsoon Rainfall Years and the Sunspot Cycle, Advanced Science Letters, 4(1): 1-5, 2011.
- Sarita Azad. Identification of Common Periodicities between Correlated Indian Rainfall Time Series, Advanced Science Letters, 4 (1): 159–164, 2011.
- Sarita Azad and Roddam Narasimha. Periodicities in Indian Monsoon Rainfall over Spectrally Homogeneous Regions, International J. Climatology, 30: 2289–2298, 2010
- Sarita Azad and R. Srivastava. A Study of Logistic Map Using Wavelets, International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Statistics, 14 (J09): 60-68, 2009.
- Sarita Azad and Roddam Narasimha. A Wavelet Based Significance Test for Periodicities in Indian Monsoon Rainfall, International Journal of Wavelets, Multi-resolution and Information Processing, 6(2): 291–304, 2008.
- Sarita Azad and Roddam Narasimha. Multi-Resolution Analysis for Separating Closely Spaced Frequencies with an Application to Indian Monsoon Rainfall Data, International Journal of Wavelets, Multi-resolution and Information Processing, 5(5): 735-752, 2007.
- Vihari Piratla, Ankit Bansal, Sarita Azad, and Pietro Lio, Parameter Estimation of Tuberculosis Transmission Model using Ensemble Kalman Filter, Communicated, 2014
- Sarita Azad and Pietro Lio'. Emerging Trends of Malaria-Dengue Geographical Coupling in the South-East Asia Region, Journal of Vector Borne Diseases (accepted) 2014.
- Ankit Bansal, Sarita Azad and Pietro Lio'. Malaria Incidence Forecasting and its Implication to Intervention Strategies in South East Asia Region”, Springer Proceedings in Complexity, 919-926, 2014.
- Pankaj Narula, Sarita Azad, and Pietro Lio'. A Bayesian Framework for Estimating Reproduction Number in Tuberculosis Transmission Model, Communicated, 2014.
- Deepak Sharma and Sarita Azad. Selection of India's Energy Resources: Fuzzy Decision Making Approach, Energy Systems (accepted), 2014 .
- Deepak Sharma and Sarita Azad. Selection of India's Energy Resources using Fuzzy Vikor Method, OIDA International Journal of Sustainable Development, 06 (01): 19-36, 2013.
- Shashank Mathur, Aditya Chuhan, and Sarita Azad. Ranking Indian States Based on Socio-Economic Factors, Advanced Science Focus (accepted), 2013
- Sarita Azad and Arvind Gupta. Uncovering the Economic Coherence among the Asian Giants and the Western World, Advanced Science, Engineering, and Medicine, 5: 1–5, 2013.
- Sarita Azad, Shashank Mathur, and Arvind Gupta. Evaluating India's Strategic Partnership using Analytical Hierarchy Process", Advanced Science Focus, 1: 96-101, 2013.
- Sarita Azad and N.S. Sisodia. Trends of Urban Growth in Asian Mega-Cities, Asian Profile , 39(2):129-136, 2011.
- Sarita Azad and Arvind Gupta. A Quantitative Assessment on 26/11 Mumbai Attack using Social Networks Analysis, Journal of terrorism Research, 2:4-14, 2011.
- Sarita Azad (2011), "Applied Wavelet Analysis of Indian Monsoon Rainfall”, LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing GmbH & Co. KG, Germany.
- Sarita Azad and N.S. Sisodia (2011), "Asia's Urban Futures and its Implications for Security”, Imagining Asia in 2030: Trends, Scenarios and Alternatives (Ed.), 137-152, Academic Foundation.
- Sarita Azad, Ankit Bansal and Pietro Lio' (2012), " Malaria Epidemic Prediction and Intervention in South East Asia Region", ECCS'12 Satellite Meeting,"Data-driven modeling of contagion processes", Université Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium, September.
- Sukrit Aggarwal, Himanshu Dewan, and Sarita Azad (2012), "Epidemic Spreading and Risk Perception in Community Networks in Indian States", International Conference on Networks in Biology, Social Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, July.
- Yuedong Song, Sarita Azad, and Pietro Lio' (2010). "A New Approach for Epileptic Seizure Detection using Extreme Learning Machine,” International Conference on Bio-inspired Systems and Signal Processing, Spain.
- Sarita Azad (2007), "A Wavelet Analysis of Logistic Map,” IEEE conference in Bikaner, India.
- Sarita Azad (2006), "A Wavelet based Technique for Detecting Significant Periodicities in Indian Monsoon Rainfall Data,” Workshop on Harmonic Analysis of Signal and Statistical Image Processing (HASSIP-06), Munich, Germany.
- Sarita Azad and S.K.Sett (2004), "Wavelets Analyzing Chaos in a Time Series: a Recent Approach,” International Conference on Nonlinear Phenomena, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
- Sarita Azad and S.K.Sett (2003), "Wavelets Detecting Chaos in Logistic Map,” Proceedings of the National conference on Nonlinear Dynamics, I.I.T Kharagpur.
- Sarita Azad and S.K.Sett (2000), "A Wavelet Analysis of Singularities of Sunspot Numbers,” International Conference on Design of Experiments, ISI Delhi& Delhi University.
Credits : Web Development Team
© 2011 IIT Mandi All rights reserved